Mona Schiefloe holds a MSc in Biology and a BSc in Sociology. She has worked as a Research Scientist at CIRiS since 2010.
Research activities emphasize plant production in closed systems, spaceflight Life Support Systems and greenhouses.
Of special interest is environmental factors affecting plant growth, recirculation, monitoring and control of nutrient solution, resource recycling between biological systems, camera technologies for plant monitoring and process control of the plant growth facilities. Projects span from cooperation with local farmers in their greenhouses to development of life support systems for human spaceflight and execution of plant experiments on the International Space Station.
Schiefloe has several years of practical experience from integration and operation of spaceflight projects, and is a certified console operator for ESA and NASA for the International Space Station program.
- Real-time monitoring of chemical water quality in closed-loop hydroponics. Academic lecture, 2019.
- Test for hurtigdeteksjon av Pythium-arter. Article in business/trade/industry journal, 2018.
- Sykdomskontroll og overvåkning av næringsløsningens sammensetning: Resirkulerende salatproduksjon. Article in business/trade/industry journal, 2016.
- Managing Complexity and Resilient Performance in Experiments on the International Space Station. Academic chapter/article/Conference paper, 2015.
- Standardization of Experimental Design for Future Research Activities on Higher Plants in Space. Lecture, 2014.
- Changes in operational procedures to improve spaceflight experiments in plant biology in the European Modular Cultivation System. Academic article, 2014.
- New knowledge and Technologies for Closed Cycle Hydroponics. Academic lecture, 2013.
- Loss of science as a benchmark of hazard for conduction of human spaceflight experiments. Academic lecture, 2013.
- Loss of science as a benchmark of hazard for conduction of low gravity research experiments. Academic lecture, 2013.